Thursday, July 5, 2018

Return of the Tumbleweed

Sunset in North Bethesda

Wow, I've been gone a while! I've been living in North Bethesda for the past two years, just outside of Washington, D.C. Yet, just because I haven't been blogging doesn't mean that this Tumbleweed has been sitting still!

Being from the Northwest, this whole D.C. vibe has been new to me, but I have loved every minute of my stay. I've gone to the ballet, the theater, and spent numerous evenings at the Writer's Center in Bethesda, where amateur story tellers get up and tell a funny or touching story about an event in their lives. (I chose to remain a spectator.) I've been to museums and art galleries, and had fun seeing Julia Child's kitchen in all it's glory. (Did you know that the many Smithsonian museums are free of charge?)
My friend Pako enjoys time in the National Gallery of Art

One of the many beautiful works of art in the National Gallery of Art in DC


Of course, not all of my time has been spent in the D.C. area. A Tumbleweed's lack of roots invites travel, and I've been doing my share. I went to New York and spent days walking around Manhattan, and to New Mexico to stay with my friend Elsie in Shiprock. In the past two years, I've made three trips to Paris, most amazing city in the entire world, and two trips to Morocco. Casablanca and Marrakesh... I ate wonderful food, bought some beautiful pottery, and, Oh! Did I mention that is where I attended my son's wedding? It was a beautiful time shared with family and friends. A time that will be treasured forever.
Little House in Shiprock


And, just in case that was not enough, this year I have had my first two personal essays published. (May and July issues of IDAHO Magazine.*)  I've been a busy little Tumbleweed! I'm so pleased to see a budding interest in my work, and I look forward to each new step.

http://www.idahomagazine.com/article/the-hardest-person-to-forgive/

http://www.idahomagazine.com/article/a-secret/

But it is time for me to say goodbye to Bethesda for awhile. I will be returning to Riyadh in about two weeks. I'm looking forward seeing... and sharing... all of the changes that have taken place since my last visit! Colored abayas, a cinema, women driving! Of course, food has always been wonderful in the Kingdom, and I will be back to making trips to the desert. And friends! I have missed my friends. Ready or not, Riyadh, here I come!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Doors (and red, and yellow, and green)

I tell you truly, everything that you now see will vanish like a dream. ~Rumi The windows are shuttered, the doors are bolted... but the...