Friday, June 3, 2011

Afghani Jewelry and Inspirations


Beads and antique jewelry are weaknesses for me! So when I went to Deerah to see what I could do about some precious (ruby, sapphire, emerald, and topaz) beads that I had bought, whose holes are way too small for any of my wire, it was only natural that I would find MORE beads that I absolutely Needed! Coral, jade, pearls, garnets, and ohhhhh, the turquoise! How could I possibly say no to these things??? After all, I had made the earrings a while back to match my friends Syrian necklace, and I had been inspired!


The earrings above are garnet, seed pearl, and silver lined tubular beads with hand forged sterling silver wires. I love the vintage look!

This pair is made with turquoise, pearls, and crystal. A little shiny for my taste, but I do understand that not everyone subscribes to "the older the better" point of view that I hold to. So for anyone who likes a little more sparkle.......

These are also made with turquoise and pearl, but the turquoise is a duller variety and the pearls are seed pearls. Definitely inspired by the antiques around me, and the pair in turquoise and coral that I had made for my friend.


Then, just as I THOUGHT I had finished my shopping, I ran into an Afghani shop owner that I had been looking for! I had bought a blue pashmina and a couple of antique "dillahs" from him at least 2 months ago, and had been trying to find him again ever since. I wanted to buy another pashmina from him, and in 3 trips to the market, just couldn't locate his shop! Ironically, he was just standing on the street, and greeted my husband and I as we walked past. "That's him! That's the pashmina guy!" I screeched after we had taken another 3 steps. We turned around and followed him to his shop, and of course he knew I needed this choker and earrings, as well as 2 more pashminas! Oh, Happy Day!
Now, I am off to make some more earrings!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Doors (and red, and yellow, and green)

I tell you truly, everything that you now see will vanish like a dream. ~Rumi The windows are shuttered, the doors are bolted... but the...