Sunday, June 19, 2011

Close up and beautiful

I just adore rummaging around through old markets. The grungier the better. On these days I go out early in the morning and leave my daughter home, since she does not share this love of grunge with me. I never buy too much, never spend too much money, but I search and I dig, and sometimes I enjoy my time. I know that there is treasure out there. I also know that my idea of treasure does not necessarily coincide with the general population's idea of treasure.
These bits and pieces of chain, for example. Not shiny, not sparkly, but they catch my eye regardless. Partly because of the pattern, and the shadoes they make hanging in the shop. I wonder where they come from. And how old are they? Often times the shop owner doesn't even know. He may not even remember where he picked them up from.


I love this display. I love the composition! The repeating circles. The horizontal, vertical, and radiating straight lines. The color. My eye is pleased.

Treasures indeed! Old metal. Pendants. Beads of amber, turquoise, and coral,,,,, the real mixed in with the fake so that only the practiced eye knows the difference. And if it's pretty, who really cares?

Old bedouin rings. The style is big and clunky and it drives my husband crazy trying to reason why women would have wanted to wear these rings that would have been so impractical to their lifestyle. I look and don't question. I come only to enjoy.

Amber beads! Big, bold, and luscious! I want to take the entire bowlful home and spend my days gazing at them, but the price prohibits me from following through on that particular whim......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Doors (and red, and yellow, and green)

I tell you truly, everything that you now see will vanish like a dream. ~Rumi The windows are shuttered, the doors are bolted... but the...