Sunday, July 24, 2011

Color My World...

I adore COLOR! I thrive on color! Color makes me happy and fuels my imagination! Living in Saudi Arabia, it is sometimes easy to think in terms of shades of beige and taupe. Houses, Sand, Stone, etc. So I have gone on an expedition to find the random bits of color in Riyadh.

The first thing I came across of interest was this bench outside someones home. What a nice idea! A resting spot in the shade of a wall for those days when some person, or very likely some cat, just needs to take a moment to catch their breath.....
And looking at the wall behind the bench, you can really appreciate what a bright spark of color that turquoise and mustard makes on that street!


A few minutes later, this row of rooms in the process of being torn down caught my eye. Pink, red, yellow, lavender, cream, and turquoise. You can't get much more colorful than that in an empty lot!

This is the window of an Indian restaurant in town. I absolutely love the window, and the building, but it looks like it would host an art studio or exhibit much more fittingly than it does the restaurant.

These intense blue tiles are another hit of color in this deeply hued brick building. They are very small (I'm guessing 2"X2" tiles) but very effective in livening up what otherwise might be a very forgetable spot.

Last are these blue on blue Arabesque tiles at the foot of some steps. Fantastic! I am now convinced that Riyadh is not as devoid of color as I once thought..... I just have to look in the right places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blue Doors (and red, and yellow, and green)

I tell you truly, everything that you now see will vanish like a dream. ~Rumi The windows are shuttered, the doors are bolted... but the...